Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Five Best Movies of the Year

New Year's Eve! For most people that means parties until midnight and a fresh start is coming. For me, it means I'll be here, telling you my favorite movies and my least favorite movies. So , the moment you've been waiting for - here are my favorite movies of 2009 (feel free to write comments and tell me some I missed).

1. District 9 R
Why :This is the only R rated film I've ever seen and I couldn't have asked for a better movie. It has so much more emotion than you'd expect from a sci-fi movie. The actors are amazing and I hope it wins for best picture of the year.
Who: Neil Blomkamp (director), Peter Jackson (producer), Sharlto Copley (Wikus Van De Merwe).
When: Not in theaters, just out on DVD.

2. Fantastic Mr. Fox PG
Why: This movie is my favorite animated movie of the year (yes I said it, Up wasn't my favorite) and for good reason. It's so fresh and new. George Clooney's voice perfectly fits his character as do the rest of the voices. Yes, I know, it's stop motion animation. And yes, I also know it wasn't in 3-D. But not all great movies have to be $100-$500 million. It's all in the script. And this movie is no exception. I hope this movie snags best animated movie of the year.
Who: Wes Anderson (director), George Clooney (Mr. Fox), Meryl Streep (Mrs. Fox), Jason Schwartzman (Ash), Eric Chase Anderson (Kristofferson).
When: Not in theaters, not yet on DVD.

3. Bandslam PG
Why: I know what you're thinking, what is a thirteen year old boy doing at a movie like Bandslam. Well first off, there isn't a movie like Bandslam. It has such a nice indie feel and a great ending. The lead actor is awesome and is totally unknown. This movie came and went which is a shame because it is great. It is a fantastic family film and strangely not a High School Musical cheesy film. It's just awesome.
Who: Todd Graff (director), Gaelan Connell (Will Burton), Alyson Michalka (Charlotte Banks), Vanessa Hudgens (Sa5m, the five is silent).
When: Not in theaters, not yet on DVD.

4. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince PG
Why: I have always been a fan of the Harry Potter movies and books, and this is without a doubt the best of the movie series. It perfectly mixes adolescence and fantasy. You really see how these kids (well, not really kids) have grown into great actors. There is very little of Voldemort in this movie, which is alright. Bottom line - I loved it.
Who: David Yates (director), Daniel Radcliff (Harry Potter), Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley).
When: It isn't in theaters anymore but it is out on DVD.

5. Ponyo G
Why: This movie is Japanese Anime movie. It is definitely a weird break from movies like Up and Toy Story animation wise but, nevertheless, it's great. I loved the animation, it's beautiful. Hayao Miyazaki has a way of making water beautiful and I hope this movie isn't just put down for not being a Pixar movie.
Who: Hayao Miyazaki (director, writer), Noah Cyrus (Ponyo), Frankie Jonas (Sosuke), Tina Fey (Lisa), Matt Damon (Koichi)
When: Not in theaters, not yet on DVD.

So there you have it, my favorite movies of 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment