Saturday, January 1, 2011

Top Five Movies of the Year

Alrighty, another year over, another top five best and worst lists. I admit, I didn't post as much as I would've liked, but I hope this year will be better. I saw a lot of movies I didn't review and I regret that. My new year's resolution is I'll review as many movies as I can. This year I'm also incorporating something new in my website. I'm going to watch every movie that ever won an academy award for best picture; well, every one I'm allowed to see. Then I'll review them. Did they deserve it? I'll be the judge of that. Now, time for the list of top five movies of this year.

5.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
Why: I'm a little (a little? who am I kidding, a lot) biased to the Potter films but I thoroughly enjoyed this one, even though the ending left a lot to be desired (literally). One of the things David Yates is so good at is being true to the book just enough. Not too much like some movies (Harry Potter 1 and 2, I'm looking at you) and not too little (Tale of Despereaux hmmm hmmm).
Who: Daniel Radcliff (Harry Potter), Rupert Grint (Ronald Weasley), Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), David Yates (Director)

4. How to Train Your Dragon
Why: I thought HTTYD is one of the only movies I saw in 3-D and enjoyed. I really don't like 3-D but this is one instance where it actually added to the moviegoing experience. The flight scenes in the movie are incredible. Also, the animation is beautifully done, the dialogue was quick and witty, but the casting for the voices is just perfect. Each voice suits each character seamlessly. One of the best animated movies of the year.
Who: Jay Baruchel (Hiccup), Gerard Butler (Stoick), Craig Ferguson (Gobber), America Ferrera (Astrid)

3. Inception
Why: Christopher Nolan is my favorite director hands down. He has (in my opinion) never made a bad film. He has an all-star list of actors he uses a lot. He has Hans Zimmer, the best composer (sorry John Williams) for movies And, he has the ability to make you think about the movie. When he made The Prestige (my favorite film of his), he made the movie so that the moviegoer has to see the movie again. In fact, all of his movies (that I've seen) have that effect on the moviegoer. Inception was no exception. I saw it at midnight which, if you've read some of my previous posts, is not normal for me. I didn't like it the first time. I was struggling to stay awake and you can't afford to miss anything in that movie. I'll describe it like this; the first time gave me an outline of the movie. The second time colored in the lines. It all made sense, and when a movie makes sense, it's a lot better. Inception had one of the best (and most aggravating) endings of the year. The way Chris Nolan makes the special effects look so easy and real is just mindblowing. One specific fight scene in a hall where gravity keeps shifting is awesome. And it's all real. Or was it a dream...
Who: Leonardo DiCaprio (Cobb), Ken Watanabe (Saito), Ellen Page (Ariadne), Marion Cotillard (Mal)

2. True Grit
Why: True Grit is the best title of a movie I've seen in a long time. True Grit also has the best child actor I've ever seen. Hailee Steinfeld is younger than I am and gives one of the best performances this year. And she had her work cut out for her, working alongside two academy award winners and an academy award nominee. She gives one of the most believable performances of the year. I'm predicting it will pay off big time when the academy awards come around. Everyone in this movie blends perfectly together. The script is funny, each actor suits his (or her) character perfectly. A great movie, possibly my favorite western.
Who: Hailee Steinfeld (Maddie Ross), Jeff Bridges (Rooster Cogburn), Matt Damon (LaBeouf)

1. Toy Story 3
Why: A great ending to a superb trilogy. Hopefully though, it wasn't the ending. Pixar in my opinion can do no wrong. I loved Toy Story 1&2, but 3 was just incredible. The emotions they convey through toys is outstanding. The script is well written and unexpectedly funny. The voices were terrific and I thought their best move was adding Ken (of Ken and Barbie fame) to the mix. I seriously hope they decide to make another one. Because if it's half as good as the third installment, I'll be happy. And waiting for the fifth.
Who: Tom Hanks (Woody), Tim Allen (Buzz Lightyear), Joan Cusak (Jesse), Ned Beatty (Lotso), Michael Keeton (Ken), Jodi Benson (Barbie)

Well, here's to a new year of new movies. Hope we can get some more good movies and less bad ones. But, I'm sorry to say, Transformers 3 is coming out. So much for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment